As the winter is in full swing, certain precautions for those in colder weather need to be taken. By taking particular measures, you can save a world of headaches (not to mention extensive amounts of money).
One of our clients, Surf Site Management, recently shared some useful tips for cold weather protocol. Other than sending phone blasts for inclement weather, we’d like to share some of our favorite winter tips:
1. If your car is stuck in snow, floor mats or an old carpet can be placed under rear wheels for traction.
2. If your shovel has been sprayed with furniture polish or vegetable oil, snow will slide right off.
3. Fertilizer spreader can be used to scatter sand on those icy walkways!
4. Keep faucets dripping and cabinets open to prevent pipes freezing.
5. In addition to sand, you can use kitty litter to de-ice sidewalks and walkways.
6. Rubbing your snow shovel with parawax or candle wax will help snow slide off without buildup.
7. Fill old milk cartons or containers with sand to carry in your car in case you are stuck.
8. Set the thermostat to no lower than 55 degrees when leaving for extended periods of time.
9. To prevent fireplace soot, throw salt on fireplace logs once a month.
10. If you’re away for an extended period of time, ask a friend or neighbor to daily make sure your home is warm enough to prevent freezing.
11. Bonus tip: If weather forces cancellations, use Call-Em-All to notify everyone!
Have any tried & true cold weather tips? Comment below and let us know!